Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Opal Yarn Sock

I thought I would share with you my current bus project. I travel on the bus to and from work every day and it can be rather a pain because of the interactions of other passengers. You never know when someone will insist on bellowing into their mobile phone allowing their conversation to be overheard by the entire bus, or share their music with the top deck as well as the lower deck of a double decker! In that situation knitting can be a great solace and a sock is a very suitable item as it is small and easily portable.


I like to knit all of my socks using long circulars and work mostly using toe up techniques, using the magic loop. The advantage of this method is that there are no double points to dig into the unwary passenger insisting on leaning against you, and if I were to use two circulars the same would be true. A single long circular is also much less likely to drop stitches.

The current sock is being knitted on 2 mm needles, which would at one time have been called wires. This is a little fine but creates a lovely firm fabric in 4 ply. I have very wide feet so I'm wondering if I'll have enough yarn to finish, although Opal is generous in its yardage. I'm using a very clever pattern from Wendy Johnson's latest sock book Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits which I purchased quite recently with my own money. It includes a traditional slip stitch heel, and as I'm having to use my own stitch count instead of that in the pattern it was quite tricky to work out the correct percentages. However I got there in the end and I'm now working my way up the second sock's toe.


No comments:

Post a Comment